This is the note I sent to my friends a few weeks after I came clean to my parents.
To the people I love most in my life:
I hope you will forgive this lengthy message. I’ve been debating how to explain what’s going on in my life and rather than repeat it individually, I’m going to use that creative writing degree and write it down. Let me emphasize that I am in no immediate danger, and I am physically healthy.
Over the years, I’ve hinted to many of you that my financial situation was unstable. Recently, I finally sat down and added up all my debt, both personal and business, and came clean to my parents. The number is so large it makes me nauseous. In the months and years to come I will be doing a lot of reflecting and investigating of how, exactly, this happened. But suffice it to say some BIG changes have to happen in my life in order to continue to have a life.
I am immensely privileged that my parents are willing to help me avoid tanking my credit by officially declaring bankruptcy. However, they are understandably going to be keeping a much closer eye on what I’m doing and what I’m spending. I’ll be signing a contract with them in order to dig myself out of this hole. We’re still working out the exact details of what that means, and obviously I don’t want to share everything. It’s really difficult, but ultimately I’m beyond grateful they’re willing to be on a team with me.
Obviously, this is going to affect my social life, which is honestly one of the things that makes me the most anxious (the other being my cats). I simply cannot be as available as I have been, especially when it comes to traveling to see my beautiful extended “framily.” It’s extremely tempting to just slowly fade away or to hide in a metaphorical hole of shame (or an actual hole, somewhere Amazon doesn’t deliver). But I know that I am not the only person for whom this has happened, and I know my friends are amazing. So I am trying to be transparent, both to shed some of the shame and to let you know I hope we can continue to meet virtually and in person doing low cost or free activities. I’ll still be at the Jersey Shore, in Montville from time to time, and in my beautiful home in Westminster for the time being.
Also: I need a job! The future of KT World Communications is uncertain, but I need income as soon as possible.
Some roles I’m looking into:
- Adjunct professor roles (digital media, English, etc)
- Marketing
- Social Media Management
- Retail management
- Research/competitive intelligence
- Catsitting
- Literally anything you think I'd be good at.
I am sending this note to quite a few people, and I am hoping not to get overwhelmed with too much at once. If you have job leads or advice, please send them to
If you just want to acknowledge you read this or send your support, please just text me a 💜
Love you so so much.
Comments
Post a Comment